New Garage, Bariga Fire Incident Caused By Electrical Surge - LASEMA

A statement released by the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency:

The Agency received an alert via the CRM at about 6.39 am on a fire incident at 43 Shogbamu Street, New Garage, Bariga, Lagos on Tuesday 16th of August 2016. This promted immediate activation of the Agency's Emergency Response Team, Lagos State Fire Service from Ilupeju and Ikeja Fire Stations, Lagos State Ambulance Service and Nigeria Police Force to the scene.
Preminary investigation carried out by the ERT at the scene of the incident revealed that the inferno was caused by an electrical surge from an electronics shop. The timely intervention of the Lagos State Fire Service and other emergency responders curtailed the spread of the inferno to other buildings in the area.

There was no loss of life nor injury sustained by anyone. However, 9 rooms were affected at No 43 Shogbamu Street, while one room was affected at No 45 Shogbamu Street Bariga, while 5 shops all at No 43 were burnt with goods and properties worth millions of naira inside the shops.

The General Manager LASEMA Mr. Michael Akindele advised Lagosian to always ensure that all electrical appliances are switch off after the close of work or not in use at home and also avoid the use of Unclad cables and illegal connection.